This is Day 25 of my serialized blog about the Rainblo-Batman Custom Comic entitled “Batman: Born on the Fourth of July”, which I pencilled in the spring of 1994. Each day’s post will include the plot outline, the finished script (when I have it), my roughs, and my pencils. I can’t include images of the pages-as-published as I didn’t receive and have never seen them . If anyone reading this has a copy of the published work, please contact me. If you give or sell me a copy, or send me scans of the published or finished artwork, I will incorporate them into future blog posts.
Today I’m posting page 29, along with the shot list that served as my first draft prior to roughing out the last third of the story.
“After a grand finale battle, Batman defeats the Riddler and Catworman”. That is what I had to work with when laying out the final action set piece, which occupies pages 26 through 30.
My difficulty, at this late point in the process, was contriving new fight beats, avoiding repetition and redundancy. That challenge is alluded to in panel 3, where Batman chides Catwoman for the “trite” use of her whip. I like CW’s rejoinder in panel 4.
RBBM Shotlist pg 29
50) Est. top of crown, Detonator in FG- Catwoman whips at Batman as he opens trap door
51) He vaults out onto roof, somersaulting over reach of whip
52) He lands, she whips again
53) Gets him around neck- one of his hands in wrapped up in it too “This is getting sort of old, C.W.”
54) She dives off crown, yanking him with her “Try this for new